The extreme drought Texas experienced last summer put a major strain on home and building foundations. Since last June, Better Business Bureau has given close to 14,000 BBB Business Reviews to consumers looking for foundation repair services, almost a 70 percent increase compared to the same time last year. BBB encourages consumers looking for foundation repair services to take the time to find a professional to avoid a major shift in your finances.
According to several online sources, there are many reasons foundations can shift and crack. Extreme heat is just one factor. Too much or not enough water can also cause foundations to expand and then shrink, leaving cracks in the soil.
Common signs of foundation issues are cracks in walls or bricks, and doors and windows that don't close properly. Also, visible cracks can show up in the foundation or floor along with displaced or cracked moldings.
Most complaints to BBB allege consumers had difficulty getting foundation repair companies to honor their warranty. Other complaints allege subpar work that in some cases only made foundation issues worse.
BBB recommends the following tips for consumers in need of foundation repair:
· Check with your insurance. Some homeowner’s policies will cover foundation repair, so check with your insurance prior to signing a contract.
· Do your homework. Use BBB Member Pages to find a BBB Accredited contractor, and compare several price quotes. Always check out the BBB Business Review of any company you’re considering.
· Request an on-site inspection. To ensure you’re getting an accurate estimate, have the company come out to your home to inspect the damage. This should be done even if you don’t see visible cracks or shifts.
· Beware of red flags. High pressure sales tactics or requests for a full upfront payment are red flags consumers need to watch out for.
· Ask about warranties. Warranties and workmanship are only as good as the company that stands behind them. Many businesses will offer information about how they plan to handle any repairs covered under warranty, particularly if they are an out-of-town company.
· Review your contract. Be sure to read through and fully understand everything listed in your contract. Make sure the warranties, expected timeline and payment schedules are clearly listed out. Do not sign a contract that has blanks or if you don’t agree with something.
To check the reliability of a company and find trustworthy businesses, visit bbb.org.
About Better Business Bureau:
BBB's mission is to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust. BBB accomplishes this mission by creating a community of trustworthy businesses, setting standards for marketplace trust, encouraging and supporting best practices, celebrating marketplace role models and denouncing substandard marketplace behavior.
Businesses that earn BBB Accreditation contractually agree and adhere to the organization's high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB is the preeminent resource to turn to for objective, unbiased information on businesses and charities.
Contact BBB serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin at (512) 445-4748.